Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Processed foods.. Do we have a choice?

Some will say yes, of course, we always have a choice.

But do we? Is there a choice when one is obliged to buy 'cheap stuff' from the major grocery stores? I know that some say it is cheaper to buy 'fresh', but it is cheaper or any safer? I have an acquaintance who always buys from 'Farmer's Markets'. I might do the same if I could afford the prices and if they had the range of foodstuffs that I like, but neither condition is reached.

Why is ostensibly unprocessed meat a target for the doom and gloom brigade? Maybe it's because whatever is sprayed in one part of the world is going to blow into adjacent parts even if you can't see it happening.

Also, while it could be said that the small farmer is there to do good and honest service, there is still the need to make enough money to continue being a farmer.

I don't trust anything that I am told because the people telling me stuff are JUST human, and a long way off any kind of perfection. I question and research everything from as many sources as I can. If I see plagiarised stuff, and there is a lot of it about, I ignore pretty much all of it.

The organic food now can never be the same as food was fifty years ago because every condition has changed. We didn't call it organic food years ago. It was just food, where cows and pigs and sheep and goats and chickens all spent most of their days OUTSIDE, eating whatever the individual animal ate.

Even vegetables are not safe from a variety of bacteria, some of which can kill an oldie or a baby within hours.

I am not going to walk away and hide in a corner until things get better because that is not going to happen any time soon, or ever. So where does it leave me? I have recently had a huge operation to remove Oesophageal cancer, and I don't want a repeat or some other type of cancer.

I have to make serious choices but who do I believe? Where do I go? Worst still, who cares what happens to me apart from me? And who will listen to me? I have no outlet for my thoughts apart from stuff like this blog. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment